If you haven’t come across a quote from Brené Brown yet you are about to have your mind blown. She is an author and a researcher who has studied shame, courage, empathy, and vulnerability. You may have come across one of her most popular quotes, “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love.”
Note: Some links on this page are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I came across her book, The Gift of Imperfection, and when I started reading it I couldn’t believe how wonderful the insights were. The book is about wholehearted living and she deals with the things that prevent us from living wholehearted lives. She also gives a lot of tips to help you live a full life.
This book is one that I would highly recommend, along with her other books; Daring Greatly, Rising Strong, Braving the Wilderness, and Dare to Lead. In this post, I picked some of the best quotes by Brown from The Gifts of Imperfection. I hope these inspire you to overcome shame, live a positive life, have the courage to tell your story and to truly live a wholehearted life.
Without further ado, here are my favorite Brené Brown quotes from her book, The Gifts of Imperfection:
1. Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing we will ever do.
2. If we can’t stand up to the never good enough and who do you think you are? We can’t move forward.
3. Shame hates it when we reach out and tell our story.
4. The most dangerous thing to do after a shaming experience is to hide or bury our story. When we bury our story, the shame metastasizes.
5. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
6. We need to honour our struggles by sharing it with someone who has earned a right to hear it. When we are looking for compassion, it’s about connecting with the right person at the right time about the right issue.
7. Setting boundaries and holding people accountable is a lot more work than shaming and blaming. But it’s also much more effective.
8. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others.
9. If we want to fully experience love and belonging, we must believe we are worthy of love and belonging.
10. Our sense of belonging can never be greater than our level of self-acceptance.
11. Until we can receive with an open heart, we are never really giving with an open heart. When we attach judgment to receiving help, we unknowingly attach judgment to giving help.
12. Our unexpressed ideas, opinions, and contributions don’t just go away. They are likely to fester and eat away at our worthiness.
13. Where perfectionism exists, shame is always lurking.
14. When we don’t claim shame, it claims us.
15. We cannot selectively numb emotions. When we numb the painful emotions, we also numb the positive emotions.
16. Gratitude without practice may be a little like faith without works – it’s not alive.
17. The dark does not destroy the light; it defines it. It’s our fear of the dark that casts our joy into the shadows.
18. Overcoming self-doubt is all about believing we’re enough and letting go of what the world says we’re supposed to be and supposed to call ourselves.
Related: Trevor Noah Quotes From Born A Crime
I hope you loved these quotes from Brene Brown’s book, The Gifts of Imperfection as much as I did. Feel free to leave me a comment or question below
Featured Image from Wikimedia commons